Project description: Always a favorite Summer of Stewardship Trail Days location, we'll head back to the Lake George day-use area on July 28. Treadwork on surrounding trails will need to be done, as well as trash cleanup and other tasks on the lakeshore and around the trailheads. All ages and abilities are welcome, and we'll feed you both breakfast and lunch in exchange for approximately four hours of volunteer work. The longer workday will be offset by an amazing catered lunch courtesy of Mammoth Lakes Sunrise Rotary. Free giveaways are also up for grabs!
- When: Saturday, July 28, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Meet at the Lake George day-use area under the white pop-up tent for a bagel breakfast, safety talk and work assignments.
- What: Head out with a trail-care crew for a morning of maintenance, then down to Pokonobe Lodge for a special catered lunch and giveaways.
- Who: Volunteers of all ages and abilities are welcome! Please dress for trail work: sturdy, close-toed shoes, hat, long pants and a long-sleeve shirt. Gloves and tools provided.
- 40 volunteers
- 7 staff (FOI, MLTPA)
- 2 USFS fire crew employees
- 160 total hours of volunteer work (a $3,336 value!)
- 30 pounds of trash removed from around Lake George and the parking area
- 3 bear boxes relocated: 1 to the Crystal Lake trailhead (got used even before it was finished being put in!), 2 near TJ/Barrett trailhead
- .5 miles of trail brushed on fishing use-trail around Lake George
- 2 trees cut out of Lake George Trail
< >50 feet of illegal trail rehabbed1 mile of trail maintained (rocking, brushing, treadwork)1 broken sign replaced10 waterbars cleaned1 log cut out of the trail1 waterbar constructed1 mile of trail maintained (rocking, treadwork)12 switchback cuts closed with logs, duff, and other material, restoring the trails going through them850 feet of illegal trails (switchback cuts and go arounds) rehabilitated
- 15 waterbars cleaned and recontoured
- 8 fire rings removed (4 at Skelton Lake, 4 at Arrowhead Lake)
Click here to access a photo gallery of images from the July 28 event!
Click here to download the event flyer.
Ad, The Sheet, 07/28/12
Calendar listing, The Sheet,_07/28/12
Calendar listing, Mammoth Times, 07/27/12
Ad, The Sheet, 07/21/12
Calendar listing, The Sheet, 07/21/12
Friends of the Inyo July Newsletter
Recreation This Week, 07/18/12
Recreation This Week, 07/25/12